Hold the Phone

St. E’s New Cell Phone Policy
Árpád Czapp

There’s no question that cell phones are an integral part of modern teenage life. Around 90% of U.S. teens use their phones to “just pass the time,” and more than half report negative feelings in the absence of devices (Pew Research Center). 

A new school initiative known as the Cell Phone Policy addresses these trends. At the Academy, students are permitted to use their cell phones during lunch, but the devices must otherwise be kept “out of sight,” either in lockers or backpacks during class time (Academy of Saint Elizabeth Student Handbook). 

According to Academy Principal Beth Azar, Ed.D., “the policy was updated as a result of student, faculty, and parent feedback during [her] meetings last spring and the student survey.” The ultimate goal is to achieve a more academically-focused learning environment. Noting students’ increased reliance on cell phones, it has become one of the administration’s objectives to provide a distraction-free space to encourage healthier relationships with technology.

To enforce the initiative, perpetrators will receive a warning the first time they violate the policy and detention the next. If students consistently disregard the protocol, their cell phone may be taken, and parents will be notified to retrieve the phone.

As the Student Handbook states, “The use of technology at the Academy of Saint Elizabeth is a privilege, not a right.” Consequently, the policy extends to students involved in sports as well. Student-athletes may use cell phones after each game or practice session but are advised against using them during athletic events.

Thus far, the Cell Phone Policy has been both well-enforced and well-received. Students report feeling more focused following the initiative’s implementation, demonstrating how “unplugging” can sometimes be a positive solution to one of today’s most relevant predicaments.