Dr. Reilly Confesses

Maureen Brady
MC^2 = Dr. Reilly.

Sally Bowles in Cabaret… Nancy in Oliver… M’Lynn in Steel Magnolias… These are just a few roles Academy English Teacher Catherine Reilly, PhD, has performed in professional theater.  “I’ve been doing it my whole life,” she stated.  

This year, Dr. Reilly mentored fledgling Academy thespians, sharing her invaluable experience at rehearsals for school productions.  She cherishes giving advice to new actors, especially about roles she has played.  “When I’ve been in a show already, I get to share little tips and tricks. It’s a lot of fun,” she said. 

Well-versed in musicals, dramas, and comedies, Reilly finds the most rewarding part of acting is being able to mold yourself to fit different roles. She remarked, “The best part is taking on the challenge of being someone else. That’s why I love teaching. It’s like an improv play in every class.”

Dr. Reilly previously taught at County College of Morris and taught and advised at Dominican University, each for seven years where she worked as an Adjunct Professor of Communication and Assistant Professor of Communication Studies respectively.  Now finishing up her second year at AOSE, she still enjoys the classroom.  

The dedicated English teacher confessed, “I love teaching, but what I love even more is getting to know the students.”  Accordingly, while preparing Academy students for their future, she is committed to helping them discover their passions.  With a warm smile, Dr. Reilly urged, “Never be afraid to ask for help.”  As any student who has had her knows, that’s what she’s here for.