Convent’s Converts

(From left to right) Uma Srivastava ’25, Sara Sterling ’25, Luciana Guido ’25, Katherine Ferchak ’25 on campus

Emma Ritchie '25

This week, various transfer students at the Academy discussed their experience at their old schools and here thus far. They talked about extracurriculars, favorite classes, drama in comparison to co-ed schools, and much more. Since the sophomore class has had the most transfers this year, four students from the class were interviewed: Luciana Guido, Sara Sterling, Uma Srivastava and Katherine Ferchak. 

Transferring schools is not easy for most people. However, all four girls said that they were comfortable and happy about their transition to AOSE. They all agreed that it was a welcoming environment. Sara Sterling commented, “I am very happy about my move to Saint E’s because everyone is so nice and there are so many more opportunities than there were at my old school. Since I have switched schools I have noticed that I have started smiling a lot more.” 

The girls were asked about their current extracurricular activities and sports, and what clubs or athletics they had at their old schools which they would like to see implemented at the Academy. Luciana Guido said, “There are more activities here than at my old school.” Guido is excited to be a part of the EPOCH club (Educational Program of Children Handicapped), where students at AOSE act as peer mentors to developmentally disabled children. Sterling, Srivastava and Ferchak said AOSE has most of the same clubs and sports as their previous schools, with a few exceptions. Srivastava mentioned there was a Feminism Club at her old school, and Ferchak brought up her former cheerleading team – which she would love to see implemented at the Academy. 

What drew these girls to Saint E’s? What do they like best about the school? Guido and Ferchak said it’s the environment, especially upon visiting. Ferchak commented, “When I came here as a panther for a day, I thought the school was really cool, and I just love it now!” For Srivastava and Sterling, the staff and their peers are their favorite part of the Academy. Srivastava mentioned, “Everyone is really open minded and the teachers and staff push you to be the best version of yourself.” Sterling appreciates the help the teachers are willing to give as well as the community, stating, “My favorite thing about St. E’s is that the teachers care about you a lot and will do anything to help you. The school as a whole feels a lot like a family and all the girls are like my sisters.”

The girls were asked about their favorite classes, and what extracurriculars and athletics they are involved in. The sky’s the limit for Guido, whose favorite class is chemistry, as she aspires to be a doctor. She plays tennis and intends on doing track next spring. She participated in tennis at her old school, but she is running track for the first time this year. Srivastava’s favorite class is history, and she plays tennis. She is in the yearbook club, a part of the school newspaper, serves on student council, and is an active member of Model UN. Sterling’s favorite class is history as well, due to all of the class discussions. She does gymnastics outside of school and hopes to play softball in the spring. She is part of a few clubs such as Kids Kick Cancer, Pals For Pets and Toward Boundless Charity. Ferchak’s favorite class is geometry, and she played volleyball in the fall. She is in Kids Kick Cancer and Operation Smile.  

All four of the girls attended a co-ed school prior to the Academy. Guido and Ferchak agreed that no boys in the school causes less drama. “I think it’s different because there are no boys here, so there’s not a lot of drama. Obviously boys…that all starts drama, so I think it’s better here,” commented Ferchak. Sterling, on the other hand, mentioned that she does not even think about there not being any boys around. Srivastava said she hears less drama being discussed during school hours than at public school, and she thinks there is less social competition here. Uma also brought up the educational aspect to attending private school in general, saying, “It’s much easier having one-to-one teaching at the Academy. At public schools, it is a lot more difficult because of the larger classes.”

As stated, transferring schools is tough. Although, it seems from these responses that the students, teachers, and staff at the Academy do a fantastic job at welcoming new students. Thank you to Uma, Luciana, Sara and Katherine for participating in these interviews, and thank you to everyone at the Academy who has made this such a welcoming experience for all of them as they begin the year!