A Sweaty Argument

Kathryn Walker '26

As the warmth and humidity of summer are replaced by the cool, dry air of fall, more and more students have been pulling out their pants and sweaters. According to the academy’s dress code, students are not permitted to wear sweatpants, or any clothing resembling pajamas, in class. But is this fair? Should we be allowed to wear sweats during school hours? Or can this rule be justified?

A popular argument against this rule is that the dress code exists for many reasons, and we, as students, are best off simply following it. One might argue that a strict uniform strengthens unity, promotes inclusion, and prevents us from worrying about our appearance. Sweatpants might disrupt this and send the message that we are unprofessional and not serious about our studies. The dress code creates a professional working environment, emphasizing academics and encouraging good behavior. Multiple other options address the same issues as sweatpants do. The uniform includes knee-high navy socks, which may be purchased in a thicker material to prevent chilliness. Another possibility is stockings and tights; fleece-lined tights are perfect to wear underneath your skirt. Finally, wearing a uniform is also available to students year-round. 

Many students disregard these options in favor of their sweatpants. Not every student wants to wear the pants included in the uniform. Sweats are perfect for keeping us cozy in the chilly weather of autumn and winter; they are significantly more comfortable and warm than other options. Being comfortable in class contributes to the ability of our students to focus, so why should our outward appearances matter, as long as we are learning? Doesn’t the very existence of a dress code focus more attention on how we look? Of course, many of the directives given are entirely justifiable, but in the opinion of many students, the rule involving sweatpants is not included. So what do you think? Should students abide by the dress code given by the administration to advertise a professional college preparatory climate or should they be allowed comfort to enhance a more natural and relaxed learning environment?